Thailand Eligibility Requirements for Retirement Visa
Foreign retired persons whose age is over 50 years old and bring foreign currencies into Thailand for more than 800,000 baht may apply for non-immigrant visas for the period of one year stay in Thailand.
Qualification for Retirement Visa Applicants
- A foreign national whose age is 50 years or above. Not being prohibited from entering the Kingdom under the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (A.D 1979) Having in possession of money amounting not less than 800,000 Baht; or certified monthly income of 65,000 Baht; or saving and certified annual income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.
- The person must have no criminal record in their homeland
- The said amount must be transferred to any bank in Thailand and must have been deposited at least 2 months before applying .. 3 months for subsequent extensions.
Documents Required for Retirement Visa Application
- A copy of visa application form completely filled out.
- Two passport-sized photos of the applicant taken within the past six months.
- Photocopy of the applicant's travel document and every stamped page of the applicant's passport .. with validity not less than 18 months.
- Financial documents
- Presentation of bankbook current balance
- Original signed and stamped letter from bank officer verifying bank balance
- Photocopy of every page of bank book
Submitting Retirement Visa Application
Applicants can submit their applications both at the Thai consular missions abroad and at the Office of the Immigration Bureau in Thailand.
Procedure for a Thai Retirement Visa
Consular missions aboard
- Once the application form together with required documents submitted, the Consular officials are required to examine such documents to see that they are in good order and completed as stated, then they must be mailed through the pouch to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.
- The Consular mission will be notified to issue visa to the individual applicant when the Office of the Immigration Bureau has given approval.
- The Consular official must request for financial certifications that the applicant has already complied with financial obligations previously stated in 2.1 before granting the visa.
Applying in Thailand
The following applicants may apply for the type of visa in the country and must apply at the immigration office responsible for the area in which they live:
- Applicants undergoing Health Rehabilitation Program in hospitals or Health Centers. These organizations will apply on behalf of the individual applicant.
- Applicants who are spouses/parents/children of applicants above.
- Applicants to whom the agencies or organizations approved by the Office of the Immigration Bureau have applied for visa on their behalf.
The above mentioned applicants must have qualifications stated in 2.1
Duration of Stay on Retirement Visa
- Duration of stay and extension
- Permission to stay in the Kingdom will be granted for one year upon arrival in the Kingdom.
- Upon expiry date of such period, extension for one year at a time will be granted to this group of people as long as they meet the requirements as earlier stated.
Caveat: Thailand's visa regulations tend to change often. Check with your local Thai consulate for the latest information. We have tried to assure the accuracy of information on this page but cannot take responsibility for any errors or omissions.