Day Trips from Chiang Mai
Wat Phan Tao, Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai day trips depend on your preference. Perhaps a trip up Doi Suthep mountain to visit the very nice, yet over visited, temple. It offers a pretty amazing view of Chiang Mai. Included in the trip would be moving further up Doi Suthep to take in a couple of hill tribe villages.
- Another possibility would be a trip to one of the many handicraft villages dotted around Chiang Mai (one day would be enough to visit all of them).
- Maybe take in a one-day trek or a one-day safari, which includes bamboo rafting and an elephant ride.
- A visit to Thailand's highest mountain, Doi Intanon, makes a nice day trip.
- You could even go white water rafting in the rainy season.
- Chiang Rai is a mere 3 hours away and there are lots of hot springs on the way.
- The ancient city of Lamphun is only 30 km south and makes a nice excursion, especially if you like temples.
- For those seeking a less mainstream alternative then there's a bird watching excursion - guaranteed 40 species.
- Or you could rent a motorbike - get a trails bike if you're going off the beaten track - and hit the mountains. Although many places will ask for your passport as a deposit.
- An alternative would be renting a mountain bike - yes they have good ones - and you would be doing it the eco-friendly way. Take lots of water and a good map.