Bangkok Cooking Schools & Cooking Classes
Cooking Thai food can be learned at scores of places in Bangkok. Schools are usually of two types.
- Demonstration - you are an observer. Advantages include carefully watching a master chef because you are not busy trying to understand a technique
- Participation - you are preparing & cooking dishes. Advantages include understanding the realities of preparation and cooking techniques.
You should determine which type of school fits your requirements and personality.
Most major hotels have cooking classes. They are usually fairly pricey. The Oriental Hotel (02-437-6211), for example, charges nearly 6,000 baht for a one-day course. When considering the price, remember that the chefs at top-notch hotels are usually excellent. Mandarin Oriental cooking classes.
One school that contacted us and we surveyed online seems to have put together an appealing package. Cook - eat - stay.
We teach authentic Thai food preparation, cooking, and presentation. Learning to cook with us is not a stuffy, formal affair. Our classes are designed to make you feel at home while getting the real feeling of authentic Thai cooking. Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
Hotels With Cooking Classes
- Dusit Thani (02 236 0450)
- Grand Pacific (01 651 1000)
- Marriott Royal Garden (01 476 0021)
- Landmark Hotel (02 254 0404)
- Shangri-La Hotel (02 236 7777 x 1204)
- Sheraton Grande (02 653 0333)
Restaurants With Cooking Classes
- Blue Elephant's (02-673-9353) one-day course begins with a trip to the market for ingredients. Different dishes are taught each day. The daily fee is a more modest 2,800 baht.
- Thai House (02 6431191) combines a cultural experience that begins with a boat ride to
the premises. The setting, with its traditional Thai architecture, combines the cooking
experience with other traditions from the past.
The all-inclusive fee of 3,800 baht includes pickup from the pier and the boat ride to Thai House, a tour of the farm and lessons in th open-air kitchen.
- Modern Women's Institute (02-279-2831,279-2834,279-3524) has a nine-day course. The fee is based on the number of recipes the students wants.
Other Cooking Classes in Bangkok
- Naga House (02 669 3416)
- Jim Thompson House (02 652 0083)
- S&P Training Centre RCA (02 381 3412)
- Wandee Culinary School Silom Road (02 237 2051)
- YWCA (02 279 1281)