What to Wear in Bangkok
Bangkok is a modern city and styles are changing.
In short, with young people in particular, slightly revealing clothing
similar to that found in the west is a common sight around Bangkok.
Short pants on middle aged and older people are also seen routinely.
Still, Bangkok is a city and the way one dresses here is different than it would be at a beach resort.
Bangkok Clothing Guidelines
- In doubt? Err on the conservative side
- Cotton fabric is best.
- Modest short pants are OK for the daytime.
- A short sleeved blouse or shirt is fine as is a t-shirt.
- Flip-flops or, better yet, sandals are no problem.
- Caution: tank tops, short-shorts or braless.
- Evening, long pants with a short sleeved shirt or blouse is better. Yes, you will see sleeveless blouses and they are okay except for temples
- Pants for women or a knee length skirt or dress will do.
- Denim is usually fine but sometimes something a tad dressier for upscale places is more appropriate.
- Wear regular or athletic shoes with socks
- Respectful, non-revealing, semiformal clothing with proper shoes should be worn in temples and significant historical sights, visits to immigration, the embassy or other official locations.
- Business meetings require more formal attire.